According to a neighbor, the palad or solefish is the ideal fish for this recipe although this can also be done with bangus, lison and many others. Any leftover fried fish is also given new life when it’s cooked in tausio or black beans.
The recipe is closely related to Papa On’s Steamed Lison with Black Bean sauce. The main difference is that with the traditional Ilonggo version, the fish is fried and made to swim in the tausio sauce.
You will need:
palad (solefish) fried whole; with bangus, its sliced; some other fish, either whole or sliced
ABC or ahos, bombay, camatis (garlic, onion, tomato)
Sliced luy-a (ginger)
A can of Tausio or black beans
Patis (soy sauce)
1. Season the fish with salt then fry.
2. Saute the ABC well. Add the sliced ginger.
3. Add the drained black beans. Stir.
4. Add plus or minus two cups of water depending on how much sauce you want.
5. Bring to a boil. Adjust to taste.
6. Put in the fried fish and bathe them in the sauce.
7. We’re done!